CAP-XX have introduced a range of flat single-cell supercapacitors targeted at small (or disposable) devices for IoT applications. This new Thinline range boasts the world’s thinnest supercap at 0.6 mm thick. CAP-XX use a unique nanotechnology construction that stores electrical charge in engineered carbon electrodes on aluminium foil to minimize resistance and maximize capacitance. This type of electrode construction packs the highest energy and power densities possible into thin, prismatic packages.
The idea was born while working with a customer designing a disposable insulin pump. “We figured out how to eliminate materials and change some processes to reduce costs and thickness,” explained Anthony Kongats, CAP-XX CEO.
Thinline works with thin-film, solid-state, and other low-power batteries such as coin cells/button cells, energy harvesting modules (solar, vibration/kinetic, RF, and other ambient energy sources), as well as inductive/wireless and cable/cradle fast-charging systems.
Key features of CAP-XX Thinline include:
• Extremely thin, flexible packaging from 0.6mm (600µm) thick
• Best-in-class power density and power output (up to 117kW / litre)
• Ultra-low resistance, even at low temperatures (ESR from 16mΩ, 2x nominal at -40°C)
• Excellent energy storage to support ambient/intermittent sources (up to 0.8Wh / litre)
• High cell voltages to facilitate integration with primary batteries (up to 2.75V continuous)
• Wide operating temperature range (from -40°C to +85°C)
• Very low leakage current to maximize battery life and minimize losses (typically < 1µA)
• Virtually unlimited charge-discharge cycle life
CAP-XX Thinline supercapacitors are available in three footprints:
• “A” series: 19.5mm x 20.0mm x 0.6 – 0.9mm thick, 60 – 180 mF, 45 – 200 mΩ
• “W” series: 28.0mm x 20.2mm x 0.6 – 0.9mm thick, 100 – 300 mF, 24 – 120 mΩ
• “S” series: 39.0mm x 20.2mm x 0.6 – 0.9mm thick, 180 – 540 mF, 16 – 75 mΩ
Prices for the Thinline supercaps start at less than US$1 in large volumes.
- on Power Supplies
May 26, 2015 | 23:58
CAP-XX have introduced a range of flat single-cell supercapacitors targeted at small (or disposable) devices for IoT applications. This new Thinline range boasts the world’s thinnest supercap at 0.6 mm thick. CAP-XX use a unique nanotechnology construction that stores electrical charge in...