- Original publication: Elektor Magazine no. 11/2015 on page 45.
- Authors: Ton Giesberts (Elektor Labs) and Thijs Beckers (Netherlands Editorial)
- Free download expires: Friday 6 December, 2019.
- Hardware available: Bare PCB no. 150387-1, see PRODUCTS below.
- Note: Since its publication of the project in 2015, components, software elements, webpages and other elements mentioned in the article may be subject to updating to the present day.
1. IntroductionThe “legacy” serial port is still used a lot for interfaces between electronic devices and PCs. Here we present a compact implementation, based on the FT232H IC from FTDI, which can be connected over USB 2.0 after you install the right drivers. That gives you USB High Speed capability.
2. Quick Features of the Project
- USB 2.0 High Speed
- Pin compatible with the FTDI-USB-TTL (UART) cable
- Right-angle USB connector for space-saving mounting
- Selectable 3.3 V or 5 V supply voltage on the output connector
- Automatically recognized as a COM port (after installation of VCP drivers
3. Selected Images of the Project
Like what you’re seeing? The go to the article page and download a pdf copy of the full, original article. Downloading is free between Friday 6 December and Friday 13 December, 2019.